Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship Construction Site Engineering Technician
- Start date(s):
- 1 Aug 2020
- 2 years
- Level 4
- Credit Value:
- Course Code:
- Study Mode:
- Part Time
- Attendance Type:
- Attendance Pattern:
- Awarded by:
- Framwellgate Moor Campus
- Course costs:
- Currently unavailable
Course details may be subject to change
This apprenticeship standard is to prove competence as a Construction Site Engineering Technician.
Typical job titles could include Assistant Site Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Civil Engineering Technician or Construction Site Technician.
In the case of SME construction companies, the roles are likely to include Site Engineer, Civil Engineer or Project Engineer. They are associated with the dimensional control and application of engineering solutions on construction projects and are based on construction sites with occasional time in offices.
This apprenticeship is to develop the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to become a competent Construction Site Engineering Technician.
The main duties and tasks of a Construction Site Engineering Technician are:
- Dimensional control of construction projects
- Assisting design teams with civil engineering solutions on construction projects
- Supervision of specialist contractors
- Contribute to the control of health and safety on construction projects
- Recording, control and reporting of progress on a construction project
- Contribute to the minimisation of the environmental impact of construction projects
- Control the quality of works on a construction project.
- Construction Technology
- Construction Practice and Management
- Construction Information
- Principles of Structural Design
- Mathematics for Construction
- Measuring and Setting Out
- Science and Materials
- Individual Project.
Knowledge & Skills
- Health & Safety
- Engineering Principles and Solutions
- Construction Management
- Planning and Organising Work
- Monitor Quality.
- Professional Judgement
- Commitment to Code of Ethics
- Continuing Professional Development
- Commitment to Equality and Diversity
- Communicate Effectively
- Work in Teams
- Demonstrate Innovation.
Day and time of study will be confirmed before the start of your course.
Teaching & assessment
Each unit will use different teaching and learning strategies, depending upon the nature of the subject. The teaching and learning strategies will include a combination of different approaches, including:
- Academic Tutorials
- Site visits
- Group work
- Practical work
You will also meet regularly with your Apprenticeship Skills Coordinator in the workplace to monitor your progress against the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours required for the apprenticeship End Point Assessment.
We have many strong links to provide you with opportunities to further your knowledge, such as guest speakers and visits to industry.
Professional body registration:
This Apprenticeship will include the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to achieve Technician status with the Institution of Civil Engineers (EngTech MICE). The Technician Professional Review process for EngTech MICE is included in the end-point as
This is an employer led qualification and you should be employed in the construction sector and will attend college on a day release basis. Gaining experience in a real working environment is imperative to meet the knowledge, skills, and behaviour requirements of this programme which will be driven by your designated workplace mentor.
Progression to a Higher National Diploma (HND) in Construction or Civil Engineering at New College Durham or a relevant subject/Degree Apprenticeship at university.
You will attend college on a day-release basis. You will also be expected to conduct additional independent study during your own time away from college to complete the programme.
You will hold:
- At least five GCSEs at grade 9-4 (A*-C)
- Or a related BTEC qualification at Level 3
- Or 2 relevant STEM A-Levels
- Employment in the construction sector
- Industry experience at Level 3 is preferred, however, all relevant experience will be considered.
In addition to the above, you will be required to have maths and English Language qualifications at a minimum of Level 2 before commencement of the course. If you wish to pursue a career in Civil Engineering a GCSE grade 6/B in maths is recommended.